Grow Your Own Crystal Nightlight
Product DescriptionThe Chemistry Lab for Crystal Enthusiasts!
With this Mega Crystal Growing Lab children will learn about crystal formation while magically growing crystals in 8 different colors!
This deluxe kit includes:
- 8 colors of crystal growing powder
- 8 seed rocks
- 5 real crystal specimens (quartz, rose quartz, fluorite, calcite, amethyst)
- 2 silicone growing chambers
- A light up crystal display base that elegantly displays your 5 best crystals
- A stir stick and magnifying glass
- A full color STEM learning guide and instructions
This STEM chemistry kit is the best way to start a rock collection and inspire your child with a love of science.
Your kids will love growing and displaying their stunning crystals.
National Geographic Toys is proud to provide a 100% satisfaction guarantee with all our products so that you can buy with confidence.
About the National Geographic Society: With a mission to inspire people to care about the planet, the 131-year-old National Geographic Society is one of the worldâ€™s largest nonprofit scientific and educational organizations. National Geographicâ€™s net proceeds support vital exploration, conservation, research, and education programs.
- FAST GROWING CRYSTALS IN 8 COLORS - Blue, pink, red, purple, green, orange, yellow, and teal; crystal chemistry has never been so fast (grows in 3 - 4 days), fun, and colorful! The perfect educational gift for boys and girls
- GROWING IS EASY – Easy-to-follow instructions and the 2 included silicone growing chambers make growing your crystals easier than ever!
- NIGHT LIGHT DISPLAY – Show off 5 of your favorite home-grown crystals in the included light-up display! This fun kids STEM activity can help inspire a lifelong love of science and learning
- INCLUDES REAL CRYSTAL SPECIMENS – Start or expand your rock collection! Comes with 5 real gemstone specimens: quartz, rose quartz, fluorite, calcite, and amethyst. Learn about the gemstones in the kit with the included, full-color learning guide
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED – The National Geographic STEM series provides kids high-quality educational toys that are a whole lot of fun! If your experience is anything less than extraordinary, let us know so we can make it right for you
Top ReviewsThe perfect crystal grow kit!
by Floppy Beef Curtains (5 out of 5 stars)
September 28, 2017
This is the best crystal grow kit we've ever experienced. We got a MASSIVE crystal grow yield from each of the colors. We used distilled water and had extreme attention to foreign particulates/dirt to the mixing/pan containers to ensure a pure solution. We let grow for about 5 weeks each or until the solution level reach the top of the crystals.
PROs: excellent crystal yield and the colors remain vibrant for a longer period than most kits. Materials provided were high quality. Sample stones provided were also really cool and a nice touch.
CONs: The crystals seem to leach salts onto the night light stand for a few days to weeks. We had to constantly clean the light stand off. Minor gripe. The leaching stopped after a few weeks and the crystals are fairly stable now.
I would buy this kit for all my friend's kids. It really is that awesome.
Paying extra for Nat Geo name
by Robb1121 (5 out of 5 stars)
December 15, 2016
You can get the same kit for almost $20 less. Search Ultimate Crystal Growing Lab - 8 Colors to Grow and Light-up Display! Only difference is it doesn't have the Nat Geo name on it.
A great teaching toy
by DD (5 out of 5 stars)
January 6, 2017
We bought this kit for a Christmas gift and it was a big hit while we were setting up the experiment. You get 8 crystal mixes and seeds to work with and four silicon growing chambers. You will need to have a space set up where the chambers can sit for 7 to 10 days for the crystals to grow without being moved. One word of advise DO NOT US ALUMINUM CONTAINERS TO BOIL THE WATER AND DISSOLVE THE CRYSTAL MIX. The aluminum will react with the mix and you will end up with crystalline cotton candy instead of crystals shown on the box. The company Discover with Dr. Cool sent us a replacement crystal mix and seed to replace the botched crystal.
Wow! I'm so amazed how great this worked!
by Gapeach (5 out of 5 stars)
January 9, 2018
Ok so this kit takes a bit of effort but WOW the results are stunning! I bought this for my 6 yo daughter for Christmas. We set up the first 4 crystals per the directions and let them sit 10 days. We had fun looking each day to see how big they were.
After they were done, I removed the crust from the edges of the cup, poured off the liquid, and eased the crystal out of the cup. They came out easily.
To get the seed rock out, I used a razor blade, went around the edges and flaked off the crystal growth to expose the edges, then used the corner of the blade to pop the rock out. I was veeeery careful and all 4 crystals came out intact!
It takes patience but totally worth it, the resulting night light is a treasure she will probably keep for life.
I now have a very disappointed kid
by caa421 (1 out of 5 stars)
August 28, 2018
After a week of very still conditions, and exactly the same amount of starting boiled distilled water, ONLY ONE of the crystal seeds actually produced a rock. And that rock looks nothing like the pictures on the box. So, forget the night-light stand. With only one crystal produced you can basically throw the night-light in the garbage. I suspect the starting materials were already stale. The bags felt lumpy, like they were already absorbing moisture long before they even left the warehouse.
End results are beautiful
by Abed (5 out of 5 stars)
September 21, 2018
I initially bought this for my niece but it was so tempting that my niece never knew about it 😈. It's fun and end results are pretty. Boil water, pour the boiled water in a bowl (exact water level marked on each cup), add the powder and stir until all powder is treated. Pour the solution into the cup, wait for 12 minutes and then drop the seed carefully into the solution. Place the cup in a dark area and keep it steady and untouched for 7 days. My end results are in the photos. Removing the seed is not that tricky, u need a knife and u need to remove the crystals forming around the seed edges. Once those are removed, stick the knife in between the seed and the crystal and gently remove the seed, crystal will be delicate at this time. Avoid cleaning the seed or exposing it to pressurized water directly when out of the cup.
by Crystal McCullough (2 out of 5 stars)
April 26, 2017
So, it did come with instructions. However, the instructions did not say anything about the kind of cookware you should involve when warming and dissolving the materials. When I went looking for help on what was wrong with my crystals, I found other comments that said not to use aluminum pots. So, I contacted National Geographic very soon after receiving them. They said they would send out replacements. I have yet to receive them nor contacted by National Geographic. I'm disappointed.
Pricey but interesting toy!
by TweedBunny (4 out of 5 stars)
March 10, 2018
This was more pricey than what I normally spend on a 'toy' so I was hoping that my splurge would not be in vain. It was given to my 8 year old daughter for Christmas and she was excited when she saw it. The instructions were clear and the growing cups were of good quality. We left the crystals in for 11 days (it recommends 4-10 days) and they were very developed and beautiful once we took them out! The colors of the crystals were not as vibrant as in the pictures though. They were very lightly colored, only slightly more than white. The "seed" rocks (what the crystal grows on) were very difficult to remove and even though I was as careful as possible, the yellow crystal dissolved and broke apart in my hand while I was trying to extract the seed rock. (The seed rocks only need to be removed if you want to display the crystals on the lighted base so that they can light up from the LED's underneath them, otherwise the seed rocks can be left in the crystals). I like that the kit came with more crystals to grow than there are spaces on the lighted base (I think there are 7-8 different colors?) because it gives my daughter options of which she wants to display and change around and you know we girls like changing things around :) Because of the expense this is probably a one-time buy.
but still they came out pretty great. We tried different combinations of colors
by Ben J. (5 out of 5 stars)
March 27, 2017
The crystals weren't quite as colorful as those on the box, nor were they quite as "pointy", but still they came out pretty great.
We tried different combinations of colors, temperatures, covered vs. uncovered.
The best crystals grew when the instructions were followed exactly. Placing the crystal solution in the refrigerator resulted in a more uniform solid crystal with fewer jaggies, although it grew faster. Using a small chip off of the seed crystal still grew crystals, but not quite as nice as using the whole seed. Mixing different color packets with different color seeds resulted in light pinkish crystals which are sort of transparent.
Note that others who mixed the crystal solution in an aluminum pot ended up with really fuzzy crystals. Instead, I heated the water in the microwave with a toothpick in the water to allow it to boil. Then I carefully poured the very hot water into the growth cups and stirred the solution in until completely dissolved.
Letting them grow uncovered resulted in some condensate on the side walls of the cup as the water evaporated. Letting them grow covered (Saran wrap), didn't leave any growing on the sides of the cup. The resulting crystals were a bit smaller than the "normally" grown ones.
by K. Brock (1 out of 5 stars)
September 8, 2018
While this is the coolest gift, in theory, it failed miserably. Getting the seed rock out was next to impossible without destroying the crystals.
My daughter was pretty upset. There weren't enough decent crystals to use with the light.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Glow-in-the-Dark Crystal Growing Lab - DIY Crystal Creation - Includes Real Fluorite Crystal Specimen
- NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Crystal Growing Kit - 3 Vibrant Colored Crystals to Grow with Light-Up Display Stand & Guidebook, Includes 3 Real Gemstone Specimens Including A Geode & Green Fluorite
- National Geographic Break Open 10 Premium Geodes - Includes Goggles, Detailed Learning Guide & 2 Display Stands - Great Stem Science Gift for Mineralogy & Geology Enthusiasts of Any Age
- NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Mega Gemstone Dig Kit - Excavate 15 Real Gems Including Amethyst, Tiger's Eye & Rose Quartz - Great STEM Science Gift for Mineralogy and Geology Enthusiasts of any Age
- Light-up Terrarium Kit for Kids with LED Light on Lid - Create Your Own Customized Mini Garden in a Jar That Glows at Night - Great Science Kits - Gardening Gifts for Children - Kids Toys - Dan&Darci
- NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Rocks & Fossils Kit - 200 Piece Set Includes Geodes, Real Fossils, Rose Quartz, Jasper, Aventurine, & Many More Rocks, Crystals & Gemstones
- NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Purple Crystal Growing Lab - DIY Crystal Creation - Includes Real Amethyst Crystal Specimen
- NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Mega Fossil Dig Kit - Excavate 15 real fossils including Dinosaur Bones, Mosasaur & Shark Teeth - Great STEM Science gift for Paleontology and Archeology enthusiasts of any age
- NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Blue Crystal Growing Lab - DIY Crystal Creation - Includes Real Calcite Crystal Specimen
- YELLOW SCOPE - Foundation Chemistry Kit: Dozens of STEM Experiments That Take Girls Seriously
*If this is not the "Grow Your Own Crystal Nightlight" product you were looking for, you can check the other results by clicking this link. Details were last updated on Apr 14, 2021 17:18 PST.